- Discretion- Recognizing and avoiding words, actions, and attitudes that could bring undesirable consequences.
- Responsibility- Knowing and doing what is expected of me.
- Alertness Being aware of what is taking place around me so I can have the right responses.
- Dependability Fulfilling what I consented to do, even if it means unexpected sacrifice.
- Sensitivity Using my senses to perceive the true attitudes and emotions of others.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
Will provide on-site primary eye/vision care by administering eye examinations, and prescribing and fitting glasses or contact lenses via specialized equipment. The optometrist will provide advice for visual problems, recommending other treatments or visual aids when appropriate, and will recognize eye disease, referring patients to medical practitioners when necessary.
- Competitive salary with options for bonuses
- Guaranteed Salary regardless of RVUs
- Student loan forgiveness eligibility (NHSC qualified health center)
- NHSC Loan Repayment ($50,000 tax free, every two years)
- Sign-on bonus - $10,000
- Paid CME - Up to $3,000
- Additional 40 hours dedicated PTO for CME
- Reduced schedule options available (3 and/or 4-day work weeks) with full benefits
- Comprehensive benefits
- Call consist of 2 week per year of after-hours telephone call only, supported by telephone nurse triage team
- Malpractice coverage including tail coverage
- Retirement planning
- EPIC EMR
- Wonderful patient population, and team of providers
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Examines eyes using observation, instruments, and pharmaceutical agents, to determine visual acuity and perception, focus and coordination and to diagnose diseases and other abnormalities such as glaucoma or color blindness.
- Analyzes test results and develop a treatment plan.
- Prescribes, supplies, fits, and adjusts eyeglasses, contact lenses and other vision aids.
- Prescribes medications to treat eye diseases if state laws permit.
- Educates and counsels patients on contact lens care, visual hygiene, lighting arrangements and safety factors.
- Consults with and refer patients to ophthalmologist or other health care practitioner if additional medical treatment is determined necessary.
- Supports Variety Care's pursuit of accreditation as a Patient Centered Medical Home and our commitment to provide care to all Variety patients that is Safe, Effective, Patient Centered, Timely, Efficient, and Equitable. Provide leadership and work with all staff to achieve the goals of the "Triple Aim" of healthcare reform-to improve the experience of care, improve health outcomes, and decrease healthcare costs.
- Embodies the strength of personal character. Places value on being an open and honest communicator who displays high moral and ethical conduct, integrity, adaptability, and sound judgment. Must be a leader in the department and community. Result-oriented problem solver who is responsible and accountable.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements, Special Skills or Knowledge :
- Completion of a Doctor of Optometry program.
- Passed optometry exams to prove mastery of relevant knowledge.
- Completion of an application process as prescribed by the state board of optometry.
- Outstanding "bedside manners": patient-centric with empathy, excellent active. listening and communication skills, engaging and efficient.
- Outstanding clinical capabilities and judgment.
- Focused on collaborative team-based care.
- Experience working in a past-faced, high accountability environment.
- Proficient in EHR systems.
- Passionate about providing high quality primary health care to low-income, under-served residents and those lacking access to health care.
Variety Care is focused on solving many problems facing those in our community who might otherwise not be able to access regular, routine medical care. We believe that the community as a whole is made stronger when everyone has access to the medical services they need, and the data backs up our mission. By making health care affordable and accessible, we strengthen our communities financially and save lives.